- reducing stress levels
- promoting focus and good attention
- improving mood and self-concept
- decreasing physical strain on muscles
Getting started with a meditation or mindfulness practice can be easy! Begin with a simple breathing exercise - inhale and exhale with intention. Even that small act can be enough to shift your focus and relax any unintentional physical strain.
Some ideas for using meditation in your daily routine:
- Start your session with a short guided meditation (especially helpful after lunch or recess) to help students focus and mentally prepare
- Play nature sounds during independent work time as calming background music
- Use nature sounds as an unobtrusive alert to students for transition times
- Play a meditation track during naptime for younger students - rain and waves sounds are soothing and can help children fall asleep
For more ideas on getting started with a mindfulness practice or integrating meditation into your routine, check out this Pinterest board from Giselle Shardlow of Kids Yoga Stories that's full of great ideas!
Did you know that the Tales2go library includes guided meditations and meditation sounds? Find them by searching meditation sounds in the player.